Seriously? You have GOT to be kidding me!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pro-Choice - A Woman's Right

Texas State Senator Wendy Davis pulled a filibuster yesterday to halt the voting on SB5, the Texas Abortion Bill, which ultimately did not pass. Sen Davis was against the bill which would have closed apprx 80% of the clinics in Texas. I did my part to support her, I sent her my story. Now before you continue reading, I wanna say I am Pro-Choice. And if that makes you angry, you probably shouldn't read the rest of this blog.
I know that this topic is so heated. People really feel very strongly on both sides. But I also feel like some Pro-lifers have this image or believe something about the Pro-choice people that is false. So, that's why I feel like its so important to tell my story.

I made a choice to use my right when I was 17. Do you hate me now, like you hate the rest of us "baby killers"?

I bet if you are a friend or family member that you don't. I bet you still love me just don't like my choice.

If I had that baby would you have bought diapers for me, babysat so I could finish school, got up for late night feedings and diaper changes? If you are a friend or a family member you would, in the beginning. But eventually that burden would fall on me. Rightfully so, as I am the mother.

But what if I don't want to. What if I am too selfish, immature, irresponsible to care for a life? What if I choose to go out w/ friends instead? Go do drugs, which I probably did when I was pregnant? Sleep around and in general just be a "typical" teen, which I was? Wheres the baby now? Oh my parents have to raise him/her. Wow, that doesn't seem right.

Yeah, adoption, lots of people want babies. But I'm an irresponsible person. I don't want to take care of myself let alone this body for 9 months. I do drugs. I drink. I smoke. I am not going to stop for a baby that I don't even want. And then to care for myself and body for 9 months, go thru labor and GIVE the baby away. That just wasn't even an option for me. Good for those who do.

So, maybe I should have used protection. Yeah, we did. Awesome.

Lets say I decided to keep the baby. I wouldn't be where I am today. I never would have been able to support myself. I would have had to rely on my family, burdening them, and been forced to use government assistance to try and make it. But the same group of people who stand outside Planned Parenthood calling me a murderer are the same group who tell me to get a job and that they don't want their tax dollars going to me. Uh...ok.


My story...
I was 17. The father was my dad's best friend. A married 31 yr old man. I know, its terrible, but not the point. We used protection. It broke and 3 weeks later I knew. I weighed all my options. And I came to the conclusion that abortion was the right choice for me.
The actual experience was not ugly, or scary, or negative. There were no dark alleys or shady people. I went to Planned Parenthood. They were very understanding and caring. There was pre-counseling to make sure this was my choice, that I wasn't here bc someone else made me (parents/boyfriend/etc). Once it was all said and done I felt a sense of relief. A weight had been lifted off my shoulders.
Before I left they made sure I had birth control. I was given more then a months supply of pills and there are always condoms galore at PP.


I haven't had multiple abortions. I wasn't 6 months along.
I believe in this right for women. Not everyone is Kermit Gosnell.

No comments:

Post a Comment